St. Pete Beach, Florida, is a barrier island tourist community with a population of around 10,000 permanent residents. It was incorporated into one town in 1957 by combining the towns of Pass-a-Grille, Don CeSar, Belle Vista, St. Petersburg Beach, and unincorporated Pinellas County.
The town is not to be mistaken for St. Petersburg. Though the two places share a similar name, St. Petersburg is actually a larger neighboring city of about 250,000, located just a few miles away on the Florida mainland. To avoid confusion, St. Pete Beach’s name was officially shortened from St. Petersburg Beach to its current name in 1994.
With its pleasant year-round weather and 4.5 miles of beaches, St. Pete Beach is a popular winter residence for people who make their permanent homes in colder climates. About 28 percent of residential dwelling units are owned by individuals with permanent residency elsewhere.